LEAH M. FESSLER
Middlebury College – Middlebury, VT
- Bachelor of Arts degree, English Literature/Creative Writing Major, Spanish Minor, May 2015
- GPA: 4.0; Summa Cum Laude
- Phi Beta Kappa Society: Elected junior year, top 1% of class
- Relevant Coursework: Graphic Publicity, Non-Fiction, Fiction Workshop, Social Psych, Public Speaking, American Foreign Policy
- Language Skills: Fluent in oral/written Spanish
- Computer Skills: WordPress, iCopy/K4, InDesign, ConstantContact, iMovie, Hindenburg Pro, Excel
Universidad Argentina de la Empresa (Fall 2013) – Buenos Aires, Argentina
- GPA 4.0: Full Spanish language and cultural immersion program with courses in communications and publicity
Atlantic Media, Quartz – New York, NY
Editorial Fellow (January 2017—Present)
- Write, edit, and research stories for Quartz on the Ideas team.
- Only Editorial Fellow selected for highly competitive Atlantic Media Fellowship at Quartz, Jan 2017 session.
Freelance Writer & Speaker – New York, NY
(May 2016 – Present)
- Bringing a fresh, explicit and engaging voice to conversations on modern romance, sexuality, gender and technology.
- Selected Panel Speaker at June 2016 Aspen Ideas Festival on the Sex in America track.
- Reporting on business, tech innovation and entrepreneurship for the startup BEMAVEN as a ghost writer.
- Viral feature stories recently published in Quartz (Atlantic Media), Mashable, Brooklyn Magazine and more.
Bridgewater Associates, LP – CT
Management Support Associate (June 2015 – June 2016)
- Modernized BW brand (world’s largest hedge fund) by strategically copy-writing new recruitment content and website.
- Implemented innovative long-term, data-driven individual development plans for 20-person team as chief-of-staff management support to Recruiting Department Head.
- Grew as a leader and problem-solver while creating and executing of top-tier management and recruitment strategies.
Women’s Health Magazine – New York, NY
Editorial Research Intern (Summer 2014) and Freelancer (Summer 2014 – Winter 2015)
- Lead rigorous research and fact checking on 30+ articles including frequent phone communications with health professionals to ensure their ideas are reported accurately. Received highest possible intern evaluations.
- Published 22 freelance articles on WomensHealthMag.com. Selected from 26 editorial interns by Online Site Director for advanced ability to efficiently synthesize complex scientific research into writing for a lay audience.
Middlebury Magazine – Middlebury, VT
Contributing Editor (Winter 2014 – Present), Narrative Journalism Fellow (2012 – 2013)
Wrote and edited Summer 2015 top feature (on thesis), 12-pg Spring 2014 cover story, and 2014 highest online dispatch.
- Created multimedia portraits of 4 students’ paths to Middlebury through photography and narrative journalism.
MiddBeat.org – Middlebury, VT
Co-Founder, Editor-in-Chief (2012 – 2015)
- Solved college president’s call for improved event publication and student dialogue by creating Middlebury’s now most-read student blog, constantly publishing campus news, event descriptions, features, and op-eds.
- Increased readership by 500% in past year (now 12,000 unique viewers monthly, 5x student body) by prioritizing social media marketing and developing a collaborative, diverse, and innovative 20-person editorial team.
StartupGrid (www.startupgrid.co) – Middlebury, VT
Director of Media Strategy (December 2014 – June 2014)
- Orchestrate media campaign for StartupGrid, an early stage website curating startup advice from top venture capitalists, through implementation and analysis of various brand voices and social media personas.
Revista Desarrollo Económico (Socio-Economic Development Magazine) – Buenos Aires, Argentina
Editorial and Communications Intern (Fall 2013)
- Initiated magazine’s online transition, taught staff InDesign and translated current material to InDesign format
- Translated 16 issues into English and successfully advertised journal to American universities.
New England Clean Energy Council – Boston, MA
Communications and Media Intern (Summer 2013)
- Managed communications, social media, events, and membership support. Wrote, edited blog posts and reports.
Community Water Solutions, West Africa – Tamale, Ghana
Summer Fellow (Summer 2012)
- Lead implementation of sustainable, female-empowering water treatment center utilizing only local rural Ghanaian resources.